Thursday, December 01, 2016

Widening footwell part 1

I have decided to make more space near to the accelerator pedal as it was tight even for me with my dainty size 8's. I pinched the idea from Mark Turnbull, thanks Mark (see link to Marks website on the right). The extra space will be some 40 mm, making around 365 mm in total between the cut out side and the footwell extension in the transmission tunnel. This gives over 30 mm each side of the accelerator pedal in my case.

The right foot extension!

First I marked out the hole to cut, using a template from Mark - wow a lot to cut away! The template was aligned by marking the farthest point of travel of the accelerator pedal and about 50 mm up from the floor. These two lines were 90 deg to each other. The main dimensions I used are 220 mm high, 205 mm wide at the bottom and 140 mm wide at the top.

I cut the corner holes using a 55 mm hole saw fitted to the electric drill ..... carefully, to make sure that I didn't go through the outer skin (watch the pilot drill bit here). Also, if you can, do this before you install the pedal box, I didn't and it would have been so much easier if I had! Once the GRP is cut through it is quite obvious as the resistance to the cutter is much less.
Marked out and corners cut using hole saw
Then using the Dremel and its flexible extension, I cut straight lines to join up the corners to complete the cut out. Next I removed the foam using a craft knife and a chisel. I left some near the top as it will make a smooth transition from the pocket to the side wall. I also think I may do this on the cut nearest the driver, to avoid me catching any shoe soles on the pocket.
Hole cut out  with some foam left near top
Now this is done I will create a 'pocket' using glass fibre. I have ordered the West System resin, which should arrive pretty quickly.

NOTE: This modification is not recommended by GD.

No comments: