Friday, March 31, 2017

Self-cancelling indicators

I had realised how reliant I was on the self-cancelling indicators on my day to day car. So without them I was leaving them on in the Cobra after turns. I even had a biker draw level at some traffic lights and say "Your indicator is still on mate". So I thought that it was about time that I did something about it.

It is an easy mod. that I should have done earlier. But I hadn't! Here's what I did:

I applied masking tape to the shroud and marked the straight ahead position of the steering wheel and that of the indicator self-cancelling stub (this little bit of plastic can be seen within the hole at the 10 o'clock on the column, when the indicator stalk is in the on position).
Straight ahead and self-cancelling stub position marked
The boss was removed from the wheel, then I carefully marked where I needed to drill holes for the pegs (about 12mm either side of the stub) and clear of the shroud hole. The pegs were cut from 4mm aluminium dowel that I had bought from Wickes.
Pegs in position in the boss
The boss was put on to the column when each peg was inserted in to the drilled hole. After both pegs and holes were done, I fixed the pegs with superglue (they are a friction fit) to ensure that they did not come adrift. Finally the steering wheel was re-attached to the boss and then secured to the column. A road test confirmed that the modification had worked and that the pegs did not foul against the shroud.
Steering wheel back in place.
   Another job done!

No comments: